CocoDandridge's Blog

CocoDandridge's Blog
Photography By. CocoDandridge

On The L

Walking down a street on a cracked sidewalk
Homeless man asking for some change with a cup in his hand with all that he got
Taxi's racing & the buses are breaking so fast that I almost got hit by a cab
The people are rude but amazing at the same time
I never seen fashion like this
With all the different people out....the air is so thick 
Hot dogs & pizza slices hanging off people's lips
"Hey Ma'am, where you from? I ain't used to seeing ladies with flat stomach & hips."
I told him I was from the South Side of Chicago and went to school down south
He smiled and said I thought you were Ethiopian
I smiled & kept walking
Just walking around in my town
Taking photos of the tall buildings and the crowd
Feeling very small & underground
Listening to the 5% nation
Constant thoughts to myself
I'm just a city girl with big dreams who rides the Subway Train
Vegetarian lifestyle so that means no-more Jew Town
Go over on the South Side every now & then just to say "Look At Me Now!!"  
I'm 21 living downtown in a city that country people dream about
I'm not afraid to catch a train at mid-night or swim in the lake
Chillin' on Broadway & working on Michigan Ave.
Everyday passing the Chicago Theater
Appreciating the Chi-Town culture
Now inserting my U-Pass so I can ride the L Train to Lincoln Park
It's time to hit up Ja'Grill or what I like to call The Reggae House on Armitage
These are streets that put the quick language back in my mouth, the speed in my walk, and the urban sound in my talk
These are just some of my thoughts & actions on a Monday night on the L
Deciding what I'm gonna write next for my paper
Black student studying Journalism downtown known as an English major
With a Tribune in one hand & a coffee in the other
This is home...the place that makes you tougher





No comments:

Post a Comment